IGN comics recently posted a great article about the upcoming Justice League of America major motion picture. In it, the authors discuss their views on which heroes and villains should or should not be included, major plot points the film should cover, various other aspects that they feel are a necessity for any successful JLA movie.
As far as heroes, IGN suggests including all the major ones: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash (Barry Allen), The Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Aquaman, and the Green Arrow. I think this is a fine idea, although I could do without the Green Arrow and possibly without Aquaman. The Green Arrow, though somewhat of an interesting character, was not part of the Justice League: Year One story as told by Mark Waid. Furthermore, if Oliver Queen was indeed included in the film, I feel as though he might be initially under appreciated or neglected next to the vast range of the other heroes' powers. As for Aquaman, who was included in Waid's novel, I just don't find the character particularly interesting, so including him in the film would inevitably diminish it's overall "awesomeness" for me.
Now onto the villains. IGN suggests that the film should center around a theme of superheroes being "gods among men," and thus to keep in line with that theme, the villains should literally be gods. Specifically, the "new gods." IGN wants to introduce the general audiences of superhero flicks to Darkseid, Mister Miracle, and even the setting of Apokolips. Now, as badass as I think Darkseid is, I'm not sure that I agree that we should be introducing him or the New Gods in film just yet. The concept of the New Gods, as well as the concept of the Anti-matter equation would just be too much to deal with in a movie that also has to introduce many heroes and their origins. I think a much better idea would be to have Lex Luthor and Brainiac serve as the two primary villains of the movie, as they have schemed to dismantle the Justice League numerous times and remain not only Superman's, but the League's greatest threat.
Anyway, the article takes many other interesting issues. You can read it here. What do you guys think should or should not be included in the new Justice League movie?
Sunday, September 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=11517
=(
I'm going to bring up something that you once pointed out to me. In the Batman cartoon show, the opening theme never says "Batman." The reason is that these superheros are so set into our culture that Batman never needed an introduction. The movie would never have to introduce the Justice League's origins, just play up the interactions between the Leaguers to show who stands where. Let the history of these character speak for itself. The only introduction would be the New Gods since their fame is only cultic.
I don't know if you've heard the casting rumors, but apparently Ryan Reynolds is up for the role of The Flash. Some of these may not be very true, but here's some other casting tidbits I found: Jake Gyllenhaal, Jessica Biel, Mel Gibson (Maxwell Lord role), Bruce Willis as Lex Luthor (which would rule a lotttt), Scarlett Johansson (Talia Al Ghul), Laurence Fishburne (Martian Manhunter), and Tom Welling (the guy from Smallville playing Superman, again?).
To the members of the JLA:
I would be honored to have Laurence Fishbourne play me.
I don't know what I think about Ryan Reynolds playing The Flash. It could work, depending on what Flash he plays. I don't think he'd work for Barry Allen, but maybe for Wally West. Did they disclose which Flash they are going to use in the film?
Mel Gibson as Maxwell Lord: Boo!
Bruce Willis as Lex Luthor I could dig.
Scarlett Johansson as Talia Al Ghul would be way interesting, but I don't know if she can pull it off. Especially since Talia has an accent...
Laurence Fishburne as Martian Manhunter is a GREAT idea. I agree with Ben.
Maybe Lawrence Fishbourne playing as Martian Man Hunter playing as Lawrence Fishbourne?
Post a Comment