Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Not Without My Caviar





Just saw this in The New York Times this morning:

The poll found that 70 percent of respondents were very or somewhat concerned that someone in their household would be out of work and looking for a job in the next 12 months. Forty percent said they had cut spending on luxuries, and 10 percent said they had cut back on necessities; 31 percent said they had cut both.
Depressing stuff. But just tell me this: who is this 10 percent? I get having to cut luxuries. I even get that can things get so bad you have to cut both luxuries and necessities. But just necessities? When choosing both is an option on the survey? "Honey, we have to cut back to one sheet of toilet paper per day, but I'll go to hell and back before I sell my Fabergé eggs."

No comments: