Monday, May 19, 2008

Tip of the hat, Cowen-san

Marginal Revolution has been going crazy over many things Japanese the past couple of days--it makes me smile.

A great link to a story on the prominence of yakuza in modern Japan--and it is such a casual thing to acknowledge and talk about here. The mythos around the 'gangster' is eaten up here in the form of books, toys and of course movies. I wonder if The Yamadas is in the works--probably set around where I live... again.

Another interesting link to an article on why those Incredibles look so incredible--originally postulated by a Japanese robotics researcher.

Cowen most recently lists his all time favorite Japanese movies.

I agree with the favorites list for the most part. Ikiru is absolutely gorgeous and Dreams is definitely looked over too casually. Ozu's Tokyo Story and Mizoguchi's Ugetsu are obvious choices on any list, ones that I agree with. Once seeing them you'll see why. And of course you can't escape the anime, for which anything Miyazaki is not trite nor displeasing. Graveyard of the Fireflies is one of the heart-rending films that I've ever seen, animated or not.

Whether it has been uncalled for pretension or just an aversion to blood, guts an horror I've stayed away from films like Zatoichi, Battle Royale and Audition and have yet to see them--much to the disappointment of my ultra-violence loyal friends.

Next stop: Audition town.

No comments: