Friday, November 23, 2007

Good News For Aspiring Musicians

How much, [Gotfried] Shlaug wondered wondered, are these differences [in musicality] a reflection of innate predisposition and how much an effect of early musical training? One does not, of course, know what distinguishes the brains of musically gifted four-year-olds before they start musical training, but the effects of such training, Shlaug showed, are very great: the anatomical changes they observed with musicians' brains were strongly correlated with the age at which musical training with the age at which musical training began and with the intensity of practice and rehearsal.
That is from Oliver Sack's new book, Musicophilia. In this one, the notable neurologist dictates more of his clinical case histories, except focusing on the theme of music and the brain. I'm really digging this book so far.

Another interesting bit of information from the book:
Che Guevera was famously rhythm-deaf; he might be seen dancing a mambo while the orchestra was playing a tango.
One thing is for sure--when I have kids, I'm going to teach them music at an early age.

No comments: