Apparently not, according to this latest study from NYU.
By looking at crime rates within the two complexes and in Manhattan’s 13th Precinct, which encircles them, two researchers said that their statistical calculations showed no persuasive evidence that the installation of cameras reduced the crime rate in Peter Cooper Village from 2002 to 2006. However, there was stronger evidence for a drop in minor crime at Stuyvesant Town. There was not meaningful enough information available on more serious crime in the complexes.I always suspected that this would be the result. It seems to be that it is common knowledge now that security cameras in most stores do not really serve much of a purpose other than alerting prospective criminals that they are being watched. I think that several stores do not even record what the cameras are filming. I, for example, worked in retail for several years during high school and know that the store's security cameras, while relaying to a small television in the back office, did not actually tape anything. If it were recording, then perhaps the cameras could serve the dual purpose of deterrence and providing evidence to police should a crime occur in the store. Yet again, it seems many or most stores are not so interested in the latter.
I wonder what would happen if the sample were extended to a larger frame than just the two designated regions. I mean, I do not think that it is entirely unreasonable to assume that certain areas might consist of more individuals that commit more crimes out of necessity, who would be less willing to be deterred by the sight of a camera. But this is just speculation.
No comments:
Post a Comment